Key: 1. calm 2. refine 3. wrinkled 4. separated 5. overcome
6. decay 7. renew 8. cherish 9. sorrows 10. mellow 11. triumph
12. independent 13. wipe 14. past 15. mad 16. supplies
Key: 1.share 2.cry 3.in 4.old 5.As 6..Make 7.keep 8.silver 9.gold
III. It’s powerful to use contrast in writing. Read the text again and find as many contrasts as possible.
Key: laugh at our jokes vs. wipe away our tears
find success vs. overcome failure
walk by our side vs. step aside
good times vs. bad times
someone who is always there vs. when we are miles away
those are silver vs. these are gold
IV. Rewrite the following sentences with the construction of V-ing, S+V.
1. Being hungry, I went to the kitchen to get something to eat.
2. Not finding anything in the fridge, I decided to have some honey in the
bottle on the highest shelf.
3. Not (being) tall enough, I stood on the chair to get it.
4. Seeing a jar of candies next to the honey, I changed my mind.
5. Wanting the candies, I pushed the bottle of honey aside.
6. Having pushed too hard, I fell off the chair.
7. Falling from the shelf, the bottle broke into pieces.
8. Not knowing what to do, I hid myself under the bed in the room.
Key: 1. A 2. C 3. C 4. B 5. D 6. A 7. A 8. C 9. D 10. D
11. B 12. B 13. D 14. C 15. D
1. someone who /overcome difficulties.
2. step aside /room to grow.
3. depend upon /in good times /bad times.
4. stand the test /time and change.
5. moved away /a shoulder to cry
I. Vocabulary and Derivatives
Keys:1. fought 2. wheat 3. picking 4. material 5. perfect 6. experiments 7. population 8. nearly 9. represent 10. technology 11. produces, products 12. genetically 13. Westerners 14. Failure 15. unnatural
Key: 1. B 2. C 3. A 4. D 5. B 6. D 7. D 8. A
III. Multiple Choice
Keys: 1. B 2. B 3. B 4. C 5. C 6. D 7. C 8. A 9. D 10. C
1. for, against
2. feelings, against, including
3. differently, about
4. lost, to
5. live, through, climatic
6. The Golden Rice may/could/might be able to help some people from going blind.
7. Going on a diet is not the best answer to losing weight.
8. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this kind of teaching approach?
9. I didn’t mean to do you any harm.
V. Reading Comprehension
1.B 2.D 3.C 4.A 5.B