1. It’s one of the things we can’t help doing.（見第1行）
(1) one of + N 複數形 ~ 其中之一
(2) can’t help + V-ing/N= can’t help but + 原形V，意思是「忍不住，不自主會…..」。
例：Mary is so pretty. Tim can’t help falling in love with her. = Mary is so pretty. Tim can’t help but fall in love with her.
2. Similarly, it’s said of some Europeans that if you were to cut off their hands, they wouldn’t be able to communicate at all; to them, hand gestures are an essential part of their communication.（見第4行）
(2) were to 是假設語氣，用來表示未來假設，但是其實現性低，或是不可能實現。
例：If you were to buy me an airplane, I would fly us both around the world.
if + S1 + should + V, S2 + would/could/should/ might + V
例：If I should win the lottery, I would share it with you.
3. This shows that they are either, at best, just trying to be polite or, at worst, lying.（見第10行）
(2) either ... or ... 連接兩個子句，但是or後面的子句，因為主詞和動詞（they are）都跟either後面所接的一樣，所以省略。
4. Some of these aspects are standard around the world, while others vary from culture to culture.（見第16行）
例：Mary likes spicy food, while her husband likes light dishes.
5. It’s something that happens in international cities when people from different cultures come together at a party.（見第19行）
(1) 分裂句 It is + 強調名詞 ＋ that 剩下的詞語
(2) when所引導的是副詞子句。該子句的動詞是come，from different cultures則修飾主詞people
6. As one person tries to get closer to talk, the other person, if from another culture, might try to move away. （見第21行）
= As one person tries to get closer to talk, the other person, if he or she is from another culture, might try to move away.
(1) 有兩個人時，one指的是二人中的一個，the other指的是另外那一個。
(2) if from another culture為插入句，用以對前方的字詞等（本句中省略the other person comes）作解釋或是提供額外的資訊。插入句置於句中時前後皆要有逗點。
7. The furthest [(that) business people feel comfortable standing away from each other] is in one of the most crowded countries in the world: Japan.（見第26行）
= In Japan, business people stand further away from each other than in any other countries. This is interesting because Japan is one of the most crowded countries in the world.
(1) 劃線部份是本句的主詞。The furthest 是主詞，其後省略了distance，做其後子句business people feel comfortable中動詞feel的受詞。
(2) standing away from each other修飾前面的business people，要表達的是when they stand away from each other。
8. These are some distances at which people feel comfortable standing next to each other.（見第30行）
例：Jenny is the girl with whom I used to play when I was a child. This is the house in which he has lived for more than thirty years.
9. Differences in hand gestures have become less daunting in recent years with the popularity of international movies [that take common gestures from one culture and introduce them to another.]（見第39行）
(1) with所引導的是介系詞片語，當副詞用，修飾動詞片語have become less daunting。
(2) that所引導的是形容詞子句，修飾其先行詞international movies
10. Someone who has seen a foreigner’s unusual gesture in a movie is less likely to be confused or offended by it when they see someone else doing it in person.（見第42行）
(2) foreigner n. [C] 外國人 foreign adj. 外國的 be foreign to 無關的 foreign aid外援
(3) be likely to是本句的動詞片語
(4) it指的是a foreigner’s unusual gesture
11. c. the listener is putting on weight（見第61行）
例：Jerry is taking a shower right now. Would you like to leave a message?
B. 持續在發展或改變的情況，如本句中的is putting on weight是在表示「體重愈來愈重」的意思。
C. 未來的動作 (尤其指來去動詞）
例：What are you doing this weekend?
(2) weight n. [U] 體重，重量 weigh v. [T] 重達…；秤重量
put on weight 體重增加 (= gain weight)
lose weight 體重減輕
例：What is your weight?
How much does a camel weigh in kilograms?
The grocer weighed the bag of apples.
12. In Spain, snapping the thumb and first finger together a few times means ________. （見第62行）
手指頭 (finger) 的說法： thumb 拇指 first/index finger 食指 (= forefinger) second/middle finger 中指 third/ring finger 無名指 fourth/little finger 小指 (= pinkie) 腳趾頭 (toe) 的說法： big toe 大拇趾 second toe 第2趾 third toe 第3趾 fourth toe 第4趾 little toe 小趾
13. a. you want faster restaurant service（見第64行）
service n. [U] 服務 serve v. [T] 為….服務、效勞
at your service 隨時效勞
do someone a service 協助某人
serve someone right 某人罪有應得
例：If you need any help, I am at your service.
Mr. Chen has done me a great service.
It will serve him right if he catches a cold.
14. In Sri Lanka, moving your head from side to side means ________. （見第77行）
from side to side 表示「左右地」的意思，故move your head from side to side表示「搖頭」的意思。
例：The ship rolled from side to side. It made me sick.
from/on all sides 從／在四面八方
side by side 並排著，並肩
stand by sb's side 和….在一起，支持….
take sides with ... 加入（…）一方，袒護（….）
take sb's side 支持某人，偏袒某人